If you haven’t cleaned your dishwasher in a while or ever and have no idea of the best way to go about it then this information if fairly handy to have. The dishwasher in our house is not new. Not sure how old it is but it was in a bad way when we moved in and it got to the point that it was actually leaving my dishes dirtier after a cycle than before the cycle started… Gross right!?! I thought it was old and broken and needed replacing. Turns out that this dinosaur hasn’t been cleaned in probably as long as it’s existed. I was actually disgusting to see how gross it all was. But I’m so glad I cleaned it because now this bad boys has resurrected and is back to it’s former glory and actually doing it’s job. My dishes are now sparkling and I love how easy and frugal it is to deep clean your dishwasher with these simple steps!
What You Will Need
1 Cup White Vinegar
1 Cup Baking Soda
Dishwasher Safe Mug
How To Clean A Dishwasher
1. Check and clean your drain. Wear gloves because it can get pretty gross in there if you haven’t checked it for a long time or ever. Specially if like me, you are renting.
2. Check salt levels. Top up or fill if necessary. You will find a spot on your dishwasher which tells you where the salts go. Refer to your user manual if unsure or google your dishwasher model and you should find information about it on the internet.
3. Place one cup of white vinegar into a dishwasher safe cup or container and place on the top rack sitting upright. I used a dishwasher safe measuring cup.
4. Turn dishwasher on and let the dishwasher run through one full cycle with only the vinegar in it. I do a long cycle.
5. Remove cup from dishwasher with the water that’s in it and throw the water out.
6. Sprinkle one cup of baking soda all over the bottom of the dishwasher and run another entire cycle.
7. Done! Your dishwasher should be smelling fabulous and looking fantastic, shiny and new!
8. Place rinse aid in the rinse aid section of the dishwasher to help keep your dishwasher clean.
I was amazed at the difference. It’s so clean now and seriously took away all the yucky white buildup from the soap and hard water that we have here in Brussels. I’ve done two rounds of the above steps but for most dishwashers I think one cycle is enough. Do it every few months to keep your dishwasher nice and clean and working to its full potential.
Enjoy your nice clean dishwasher!
Do you have any other tips of hacks to keep your dishwasher clean? Let me know in comments! 🙂